Theatre Royal Nelson
In 1878 The Theatre Royal was built on market gardening land by a company of Oddfellows. Nelson at that time was a town of just 6,000 and 1,000 people crammed in on opening night.
The June 18, 2010 official opening followed 10 years of fundraising and two and a half years of rebuilding and restoring the Theatre Royal to its full glory, preserving its heritage for future generations.
Peeling back the layers to reveal the original beauty was no easy task. The hard work and vision for the theatre is here for everyone to see and enjoy. The grandeur of the 1878 auditorium has been being reinstated. Original hand-painted wallpaper was uncovered, new paper hand-made to match, and the colour palette returned to the original Victorian scheme. The seats in the dress circle are restored, and four period chandeliers installed. No stone was left unturned in restoring the historic atmosphere.